Whether you’re an experienced WordPress user or a complete beginner, there will be times when you will need help with your WordPress site. In those situations, it pays off to hire a WordPress expert, but first, you have to know where to look for them.
In this post, I’ll share what you need to look for in a WordPress expert and seven best places to go when you need to hire one.
What to Look For In A WordPress Expert
The right WordPress expert will know exactly what the problem with your site is as well as how to fix it as fast as possible so you can get back to running your site and your business. As such, you can’t hire the first person you run into that claims to be the WordPress expert. You need to know that the person you’re hiring has the right skills otherwise, you’ll waste money and time. Here’s what you need to look for when the time comes to hire a WordPress expert:
- Years of experience – check how many years of experience the person you’re about to hire has. The more experienced they are and the longer they have been working with WordPress, the better as they are more likely to have the needed know-how to fix your problem.
- Reviews – check what others have said about working with them. If a person has no reviews, think twice about hiring them as they might not have enough experience to be able to help you.
- Check out their work samples and portfolio – it does you no good to hire someone who’s never worked with WordPress before as they won’t be as familiar with the platform as someone who works with it on a daily basis.
- Communication skills – the person you’re hiring should also have excellent communication skills so they can respond to your messages in a timely and professional manner and keep you updated on the situation.
- Ability to meet deadlines – lastly, make sure the person can meet your deadlines as the last thing you want is someone who will take weeks or months to fix your site.
Seven Places to Find WordPress Experts
Now that you know what to look for in a WordPress expert, here are seven best places where you can find a reliable WordPress expert.
Upwork is one of the largest freelance platforms available that allows you to find experts in almost any industry, WordPress development and design included. Even though it has a large talent pool, be aware that not all freelancers are made equal. However, if you look at their reviews and general reputation on the platform, you’ll quickly be able to find fantastic WordPress experts.
- No shortage of WordPress experts and freelancers
- Suitable for any type of budget
- Finding the right freelancer can be time-consuming due to the sheer size of the platform
WPHired is a platform dedicated to finding WordPress-only freelancers as the name suggests. In essence, it’s a jobs board that allows you to submit your job and then you’ll get applications from WordPress freelancers. You can review the applicants and hire them for both ongoing, long-term work or one-time small jobs.
- Finding a WordPress freelancer is not as hard as it is on Upwork as they all specialize in WordPress
- You can post your job for free but if you want to make sure it stays at the top of the job board, you’ll have to opt for one of their paid plans
- While you can find experts for a one-off project, the platform is more geared towards users looking for full-time work
- Hiring a freelancer can be more expensive than other similar platforms
3. WordPress Jobs
WordPress Jobs is the official WordPress job board that’s maintained by Automattic — the parent company behind WordPress itself. You can post a job for free, even without creating an account and put it in the appropriate category. WordPress experts can then contact you and request more information and you can review their application and decide if they are the right person for the job.
WordPress.org doesn’t verify job listings and has no control over what kind of developers contact you.
WordPress Jobs Pros:
- Doesn’t require you to create an account
WordPress Jobs Cons:
- Even though the site is maintained by Automattic, they don’t review job listings nor the developers that reply to your posting
- Not as well-known as other platforms
Like Upwork, Freelancer is another large marketplace for freelancers of all kinds. WordPress developers and experts are one category of freelancers that you can find on this platform.
The major benefit of this platform is that you post your job and look at a detailed profile of anyone that applies. The platform also allows you to interview freelancers so you can quickly decide if you should hire them.
- Large talent pool available
- Detailed freelancer profiles
- The ability to interview applicants
- Due to the number of freelancers available, finding the right freelancer can be time-consuming
Codeable is a platform that’s dedicated to all things WordPress. You can find WordPress experts that will help you design a custom theme or a plugin, fix various WordPress issues and more. It’s suitable for every type of project and it carefully vets all the experts that join the platform. What’s more this platform prides itself on excellent customer support and fair pricing policy.
- WordPress experts go through a thorough vetting process to ensure only the best are accepted
- Platform focuses on WordPress exclusively so you can rest assured experts have the needed know-how
- This platform is a bit on the pricey side as the base rate for a developer ranges from $60 – $90/hour.
6. WPMUDev Job Board
WPMU Dev is a well-known name in the WordPress community. They have authored several popular WordPress plugins and their blog has tons of articles and tutorials related to WordPress. On top of that, they also have WordPress job board where you can find WordPress developers and experts for any type of project; from site development to maintenance and fixes.
WPMU DEV Jobs Pros:
- The platform is not as strict or rigorous as some other platforms
- You’ll get access to a large community of WordPress experts and enthusiasts
WPMU DEV Jobs Cons:
- Payment is arranged directly with the freelancer
- No vetting of the experts
- You need to sign up for WPMU Dev membership to post a job but you can get a 30-day trial
WPRiders is another platform that specializes in providing WordPress services to entrepreneurs. You can find experts that will help you develop custom themes and plugins as well as those that specialize in WordPress performance and can help you speed up or maintain your site.
- Unlike many other platforms listed here, WPRiders is an agency that doesn’t accept outside applicants. Instead, you get to work with a team of WordPress experts who have years of experience with the platform
- Given that this is an actual WordPress agency, expect to pay more for their services
As you can see, there is no shortage of places where you can find the right WordPress expert for your project. The next time you have a WordPress problem you need help with, check out the places in this article.
Like This Article?
I have tons of great free content and giveaways! Join 10,000+ others and get access to coupons, freebies, and other great wordpress tips and tricksfor your wordpress website!