No matter what type of website you run, it goes without saying that you can benefit from organic traffic. After all, organic traffic means you don’t have to spend your entire marketing budget on paid advertising. Instead, potential clients and customers are coming to you because you showed up as a relevant result in the search engines.
However, before you start getting organic traffic, you need to work on optimizing your site for search engines. Luckily, WordPress is already an SEO ready platform. On top of that, it has several useful plugins that can help you improve your SEO rank.
In today’s post, I’ll discuss the top 5 best SEO plugins for WordPress and go over their features, pros, and cons.
Top 5 Best SEO Plugins
The plugins on this list will not only allow you to optimize your content for search engines but also take care of a few other SEO issues such as images and rich snippets. Let’s begin!
1. Yoast SEO
The first tool on our list is Yoast SEO. This plugin is one of the most popular SEO plugins on the market. It boasts 5-star rating and more than 5 million active installs. The primary goal of Yoast SEO is to help you optimize your blog posts and pages for your desired keywords. The plugin is available for free but it also has a paid version which has even more features.
On the free plan, Yoast SEO offers:
- XML Sitemaps functionality
- Full control over site breadcrumbs
- The ability to set canonical URLs to avoid duplicate content
- Title and meta description templates for your entire site
- Content analysis for readability and keyword density
- And more
Paid version adds the following features:
- News SEO, Video SEO, Local SEO, and WooCommerce SEO extensions
- Access to premium support for one year
- Insights tool which shows you if your article is focused on your keywords
- The ability to set multiple focus keywords such as synonyms and related keywords
- Automatic internal linking suggestions
- Social previews so you can see how your content will appear when shared on social media sites
- Redirect manager so you can redirect errors from Google Search Console, deleted pages and changed URLs
Yoast SEO Premium plugin is available for €79 for one site.
When it comes to the pros, Yoast SEO has several benefits going for it:
- Easy to use
- Offers plenty of features on the free version to help you optimize your content
- Works with WordPress multisite installations straight out of the box
The downside of Yoast SEO is that the premium version is a little pricey compared to similar plugins, especially if you need to install it on more than one site.
2. All In One SEO Pack
All In One SEO Pack plugin is the second-most popular SEO plugin with more than 3 million active installations and an average 4.5-star rating. On the surface, it has a lot of the same features as the above mentioned Yoast SEO, however, it also offers a few features on its free plan that Yoast SEO offers only on paid plans.
Main features included with the free plan include:
- XML Sitemap support
- Image XML Sitemap
- Google AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) support
- Google Analytics support
- Advanced Canonical URLs
- Automatically notifies search engines like Google and Bing about changes to your site
- SEO Integration for e-commerce sites, including WooCommerce
- Automatically optimizes your titles for Google and other search engines
- Generates META tags automatically
All In One SEO also offers a premium version which adds the following features:
- Advanced Support for WooCommerce
- SEO for Categories, Tags and Custom Taxonomies
- Video SEO Module
- Access to Video screencasts, premium support forums, and an extensive knowledge center
All In One SEO Premium offers three packages which allow you to install the plugin on multiple sites. Paid plans start $97 for a single site, $139 for 10 sites, and $699 for unlimited sites.
Pros of All In One SEO include:
- Automatic submission of sitemaps and site updates to search engines
- More affordable for site owners with multiple sites
- Advanced SEO features for e-commerce sites
- Works out of the box
When it comes to cons, All in One SEO is more expensive for someone with a single site than its main competitor. However, keep in mind that you don’t need to upgrade immediately since the free version of the plugin includes a lot of the features other plugins charge for.
3. SEO Friendly Images
SEO Friendly Images is a premium plugin that will help you optimize your images for search engines. The plugin will automatically add optimized title and alt tags to all your images based on the image title in your media library. This is especially useful if you forget to add those details when uploading images and beneficial because it makes your images more searchable in the search engines.
The plugin offers the following features:
- Support for automatic image XML sitemap creation
- Automatic image XML sitemap submission to search engines
- Support for featured images and WooCommerce product images
- Custom rules per individual image
The plugin offers three license types which include Personal, Business, and Business with WooCommerce. Prices are as follows:
- $249 for the Personal license which can be used only on one site and offers support for three months
- $299 for the Business license which can be used on an unlimited number of sites and offers a year of support
- $379 for the Business With WooCommerce which adds the ability to optimize product images on your WooCommerce site.
Pros of this plugin include automatic generation of title and alt tags as well automatic submission of image XML sitemaps. If you’re looking for a set-it-and-forget-it solution for image optimization for SEO, this plugin is worth considering.
The downside of the plugin is the fact that WooCommerce support is only available on the most expensive plan.
4. The SEO Framework
Another SEO plugin worth trying out is The SEO Framework which is available for free on the official repository. Unlike Yoast and All In One SEO, this plugin offers not only essential SEO features but it stands out as it is completely unbranded. This means you can use this plugin on your client sites to optimize their site for SEO without them knowing which plugin you’re using. The plugin boasts more than 60,000 active installs and impressive 5-star ratings.
Main features include:
- Titles according to your settings with archive prefixes
- Content descriptions with anti-spam techniques and suggestions on how to improve them
- Canonical URL support
- Open Graph, Facebook, and Twitter tags
- Structured Data for Google Search and Google’s Knowledge Graph
- Structured Data for Breadcrumbs
- Sitemap with all your pages, posts and CPT
- Feed excerpts and backlinks within to reduce automated content theft
- And more
The SEO Framework also offers several extensions that can help you take your SEO game to the next level. Extensions range from free to paid.
The benefits of this plugin include:
- Plenty of features on the free version
- Easy to use
- Extensible API for developers
- Thanks to comment spamming extension, you don’t need to install a separate plugin for that
- Subscription for extensions is more affordable than premium competitor plugins
5. All In One Rich Snippets
The last plugin on the list is All In One Rich Snippets. The plugin is especially useful for anyone that runs a site with reviews or wants to display more information on the search engine results pages. This information includes star ratings, photos, author, price, and more.
Main features include:
- Support for event, review, people, recipes, product, video, article, and software application content type
- It gives search engines the precise information to display in search result snippets
- Helps Facebook display proper information when users share your links on Facebook
This plugin is free to use. The pros include ease of use and the support for all the major snippet types. On the con side, the plugin doesn’t support snippet for local business markup.
Like This Article?
I have tons of great free content and giveaways! Join 10,000+ others and get access to coupons, freebies, and other great wordpress tips and tricksfor your wordpress website!